Five-Year Training Program
Plumbing apprentices learn to install and repair pipes for water, gas, sewage, and drainage systems, and to install and repair sanitary facilities. They learn how to test their installations to ensure compliance with plumbing code.
Work can be indoors or outdoors in various weather conditions on existing or new construction projects. May work on a ladder/scaffold, in trenches and in various weather conditions. Work requires both stamina and physical strength, working in cramped or uncomfortable positions and standing for long periods.
- High school diploma or GED/HSED
- Passing score on Accuplacer or other required tests
- Physical capability of performing the trade
- Valid driver’s license or reliable transportation
- Applicants must meet the application and testing requirements of the field they are interested in entering. These rules and policies may vary depending on the requirements of the specific occupation.
- Applicants must be employed prior to starting an apprenticeship. If you do not have an employer, you can still start the application process and go before the committee to receive a Letter of Introduction, which can be taken to potential employers to designate that you are a qualified apprenticeship candidate.
Terms of Apprenticeship
- 5-year training program
- 7,500 hours of on-the-job training
- 500 hours of paid related classroom instruction
- 268 hours of non-paid related instruction to include First Aid, Welding, OHSA, Modules, Blueprint Reading, Transition to Trainer, etc.
- Must pass State Journeyman Exam to complete the program
- Send completed Apprenticeship Application and official copy of high school transcripts or GED to the Welcome Center.
- Once everything is in place you will be called before the Plumbing Committee to become indentured or to receive a Letter of Introduction, which can be taken to potential employers to designate that you are a qualified apprenticeship candidate.
Download the application or call or visit the Nicolet College Welcome Center to receive one.