Early Childhood Education
Associate of Applied Science - 69 Credits
Academic Advisor: Nicki Flannery
University Transfer Center - Second Floor
Phone: 715.365.4493 or 800.544.3039 ext. 4493
Advisor Email: email@example.com
The need for high quality childcare experiences or infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children reflects many trends in our society. These include a national belief that children should begin school ready to learn and a growing demand by parents for safe and stimulating programs for their children.
Research tells us that the single most important ingredient to providing high quality childcare is a well-educated childcare teacher.
Financial Aid Eligible
This program is eligible for financial aid. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further details.
About the Program
The Early Childhood Education program provides both academic theory and hands-on application through a series of practicums. Students develop an understanding of physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development of young children and acquire skill in planning and implementing programs that promote that development. The program prepares students to work in a variety of early childhood education settings including child care centers, nursery schools, Head Start programs, school-age child care programs, and family day care homes.
- Family Day Care Provider
- Infant/Toddler/Preschool Child Care Teacher
- Head Start Teacher or Home Visitor
- Child Care Center Program Director or owner
- School Age Child Care Teacher/Director
- Child Care Center Administrator or Owner
- Child Care Resource and Referral Specialist
- Child and Family Center Specialist
- Students must have a physical examination, including a tuberculin skin test and a criminal background check, before participating in on-site practicums.
- They must complete a basic program of First Aid CPR training before starting their second semester.
- Some courses include preparation of learning materials or snacks, field trips, or other activities at additional cost to the student.
- Credits from certificates for part-time and evening study may be applied toward the Early Childhood Education degree.
- Advanced Certificates are also offered.
1. Apply child development theory to practice.
2. Cultivate relationships with children, family, and the community.
3. Assess child growth and development.
4. Use best practices in teaching and learning.
5. Demonstrate professionalism.
6. Integrate health, safety, and nutrition practices.