Nicaragua Study Tour
Earn Credits while Studying in Nicaragua
January 2 – 18, 2015
La Mariposa is a small non-profit Spanish school and eco-hotel nestled in a barrio (a suburb) of La Concepción. Here you will find the ideal place to study Spanish, explore the local culture, and interact with the community.
La Mariposa is located an hour from Nicaragua's major attractions including the beautiful colonial city of Granada, the pristine beaches of the Pacific Coast, the crater lake Laguna de Apoyo, and the Masaya volcano. At 500m above sea level, the mountain breezes offer a refreshing break from the heat of the lowlands. Lush flower gardens and banana trees flourish in the cool, but sunny climate. La Mariposa offers an off the beaten track experience while still being very accessible to the country’s natural and historical sights.
Required Pre-Trip Meetings
November 7 and December 19 at 11:30 am, University Transfer Center - 3rd floor
Earn Spanish Course Credits
Spanish I, II, III, or IV: 4 credits
No previous Spanish required for Spanish 1 students
Language classes at La Mariposa are held Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to12:00 pm.
Lessons are broken down into two hours of grammar and two hours of conversation. Students
are arranged into small groups for classes based on six levels ranging from absolute
beginner to advanced. The teaching method developed by La Mariposa combines the highest
level of professional excellence with the openness, humor, and friendliness typical
of Nicaraguan people.
Cultural activities are also available each afternoon. Service and/or volunteer activities are an important, integrated portion of the trip.
- Airfare out of Wausau and ground transportation in Nicaragua
- Tuition to La Mariposa
- Room and board and/or homestay
- Daily cultural activities
- Guided weekend travel excursion
- Group dinner the last night in Nicaragua
- Nicolet College credit for the Spanish course selected
- Emergency medical and evacuation/repatriation insurance
Price Per Person
- Trip Fee $2,185
- Plus Tuition for selected Spanish I-IV: $711.70
- $300 non-refundable deposit required with application (applied towards trip)
- Payment plans are available
- All fees must be paid by October 1st
- Students withdrawing after October 1st will not be eligible for a refund
- Students must be 18 years old to enroll in this course