MyNicolet  |  Blackboard  |  Directory  |  Email  |  LibraryContact

Youth Options

What is Youth Options?

The Youth Options program allows public high school juniors and seniors who meet certain requirement s to take post-secondary courses at a Wisconsin technical college, a UW System college or university, a Wisconsin tribally controlled college, or a Wisconsin private, nonprofit college or university. The program provides opportunities for high school students to get a head start on a technical certificate or an associate or bachelor’s degree, to learn more about a field or career of interest , and/or to develop specific skills for entering the workforce immediately after high school graduation. Through the Youth Options Program, a school board will determine if a desired college course can be taken for high school credit and is not comparable to a current course offered by the district. In such cases, and unless the student fails to complete or get a passing grade in the course, the district will pay the cost of tuition and fees and the student will receive both high school and college credit. This high school credit will then count toward the student meeting high school graduation requirements needed to earn a high school diploma.

Who is eligible for Youth Options?

The Youth Options Program is available to Wisconsin public school juniors and seniors who meet the following requirements:

  • Have completed the 10 the grade
  • To attend a technical college, are in good academic standing an d have an acceptable disciplinary record.
  • Apply to the postsecondary institution in the school semester prior to the one in which the student plans to attend the postsecondary course.
  • No later than March 1 for a course to be taken in the fall semester or October 1 for a course to be taken in the spring semester , submit form PI - 8700 - A notifying the school board of the student’s intention of enrolling in a postsecondary institution.
  • Maintain satisfactory attendance and comply with the compulsory school attendance law under §118.15(1)(a), Wis. Stats.

What steps should students take next?

  1. Talk with a high school counselor about their interest in earning early college credit and learn what classes are available to take at their high school.
  2. Fill out and submit DPI Form PI-8700-A (PDF) to the school district (due by March 1 for fall semesters, October 1 for spring semesters).
  3. Fill out and submit the Dual Enrollment Form (PDF) to Nicolet College.
  4. Have their high school send their transcript to Nicolet College.
  5. Set up and activate a MyNicolet account.
  6. Buy any required books from the Nicolet Bookstore.
  7. Take care of all class prerequisites, if necessary.
  8. Attend the class at Nicolet College.

For more information visit

Connect With Us

Youtube Flickr Twitter RSS

Apply Now Button