Start College Now
What is Start College Now?
The Start College Now program allows public high school juniors and seniors who meet certain requirements to take post-secondary courses at a Wisconsin technical college. The program provides opportunities for high school students to get a head start on a technical certificate or an associate or bachelor’s degree, to learn more about a field or career of interest, and/or to develop specific skills for entering the workforce immediately after high school graduation. Through the Start College Now Program, a school board will determine if a desired college course can be taken for high school credit and is not comparable to a current course offered by the district. In such cases, and unless the student fails to complete or get a passing grade in the course, the district will pay the cost of tuition and fees and the student will receive both high school and college credit. This high school credit will then count toward the student meeting high school graduation requirements needed to earn a high school diploma.
Who is eligible for Start College Now?
The Start College Now Program is available to Wisconsin public school juniors and
seniors who meet the following requirements:
• Have completed the 10th grade
• Are in good academic standing and have an acceptable disciplinary record.
• No later than March 1 for a course to be taken in the fall semester or October 1 for a course to be taken in the spring semester, submit WTCS Start College Now Form notifying the school board of the student’s intention of enrolling in a postsecondary institution.
• Not a child at risk, as defined in s. 118.153 (1) (a)
What steps should students take next?
1. Talk with a high school counselor about their interest in earning early college
credit and learn what classes are available to take at their high school.
2. Fill out and submit WTCS Start College Now Form to the school district (due by March 1 for fall semesters, October 1 for spring semesters).
3. Fill out and submit the Dual Enrollment Form to Nicolet College.
4. Have their high school send their transcript to Nicolet College.
5. Set up and activate a MyNicolet account.
6. Buy any required books from the Nicolet Bookstore.
7. Take care of all class prerequisites, if necessary.
8. Attend the class at Nicolet College.
For more information visit here.
If you are unable to access documents here, please contact the Office of Compliance at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-365-4615.