MyNicolet  |  Blackboard  |  Directory  |  Email  |  LibraryContact



What are Grants?

Grants are a form of financial assistance that do not have to be repaid. (For exceptions please see R2T4 Policy)

Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a federally-funded grant awarded to students with a high financial need and may be combined with other forms of assistance in order to meet a student’s need. Eligibility for the Pell Grant is determined by the Department of Education based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). It is only awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree.

Effective July 1, 2012 students are now limited to six full years (12 semesters/600%) of Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime (LEU).  This change affects all students regardless of when or where they received their Pell Grant.  If you attend full time and receive all your Pell Grant for the year, you will use 100% of your Pell eligibility for the year.  Pell amounts will be pro-rated for part-time enrollment.  Students who have already used 600% of their Pell LEU will no longer be eligible to receive a Pell Grant (starting summer 2012).  There are no exceptions to this regulation.  Students with 500-600% LEU status may have limited Pell eligibility for the current year.

To view your Pell Grant LEU log into

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a federally-funded grant available on a limited basis to students who demonstrate high financial need, low expected family contribution (EFC), and are Pell Grant recipients. Due to the limited amount of funding for the FSEOG, a student must apply by the priority processing deadline to receive consideration for the FSEOG.

Federal Veterans Educational Programs

Veterans, spouses, and dependents that are eligible to receive veterans’ benefits should contact their local County Service Officer or access online at to apply for their educational benefits. Once the veteran, spouse or dependent of the veteran receives their Certificate of Eligibility, they should contact the Financial Aid Office and provide Nicolet’s Veterans Certifying Official with a copy of their DD 214 (veteran), Certificate of Eligibility (veteran, spouse, or dependent), and a copy of their semester course schedule to initiate their monthly educational benefits.

Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant (FFWS)

The Fund For Wisconsin Scholars annually provides grants to 1,000 randomly selected students from among the eligible group of students. Students can receive the grants for up to a total of ten semesters with a maximum of six semesters at a two-year college (WTCS or UW Colleges). The grant amounts are $1,800 per year for students attending a two year college and $3,500 per year for those attending a four year UW System institution. Initial eligibility criteria a student must meet to be included in the random selection process:

  • Be a resident of Wisconsin
  • Have been a full-time, resident student in a Wisconsin public school for four semesters prior to graduation
  • Have received a Wisconsin public high school diploma or HSED within the past three years
  • Be under the age of 21 years
  • Be in a first degree program unless moving from/to an associate degree or to a bachelor’s program
  • Be enrolled full time in a UW System college or university of Wisconsin Technical College based in Wisconsin
  • Be a Federal Pell grant recipient
  • Have remaining unmet financial need

Subsequent criteria a student must meet to continue receiving the FFWS Grant:

  • Maintain continuous fulltime enrollment to a Wisconsin public college or university (UW or Technical College)
  • Complete the FAFSA or renewal FAFSA and receive a Federal Pell grant each year 
  • Receive the grant for a maximum of six semesters at a two year school or a combined total of ten semesters at all public Wisconsin colleges or universities
  • Meet the school’s academic progress standards and advance towards the completion of a degree or certificate

Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Stipend

The Fund for Wisconsin Scholars provides additional funds to each college and university of the UW and WTC systems for the purpose of providing Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Stipends to certain institution selected students. The stipend program is supplemental to grant funds provided by the FFWS to each school and must be awarded to students who are not receiving a FFWS grant. Upon receipt of notice of the stipend amount, the institution receiving the allocation will determine eligible candidates for stipends and will select recipients. The institution will select candidates using the base eligibility criteria and its professional discretion. The stipend for each recipient shall be an amount determined by the institution’s financial aid office.

Wisconsin State Programs

Academic Excellence Scholarship

Academic Excellence Scholarships are awarded to Wisconsin high school seniors who have the highest grade point average in each public and private high school throughout the State of Wisconsin. The number of scholarships each high school is eligible for is based on total student enrollment. In order to receive a scholarship, a student must be enrolled on a full-time basis by September 30th of the academic year following the academic year in which he or she was designated as a scholar, at a participating University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, or independent institution in the State. The value of the scholarship is $2,250 per year, to be applied towards tuition. Half of the scholarship is funded by the State, while the other half is matched by the institution. Eligibility must not exceed  eight semesters.

Talent Incentive Program (TIP) Grant

The Talent Incentive Program Grant provides grant assistance to the most financially needy and educationally disadvantaged Wisconsin resident students attending colleges and universities in the State of Wisconsin. First-time freshmen students are nominated for the TIP Grant by the school financial aid offices or by counselors of the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity.

Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG)

The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant program provides grant assistance to undergraduate Wisconsin residents enrolled at least half-time in degree or certificate programs at University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College System, or tribal institutions. Awards are based on financial need. Eligibility cannot exceed ten semesters.

Indian Student Assistance Grant

Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin residents who are at least 25% Native American and are undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in degree or certificate programs at University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical Colleges, independent colleges and universities, tribal colleges, or proprietary institutions based in Wisconsin. Awards are based on financial need with a limit of ten semesters of eligibility.

Minority Undergraduate Retention Grant

Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin resident minority undergraduates, excluding first year students, enrolled at least half-time in independent, tribal, or Wisconsin Technical College Institutions.  According to the statutes, a minority student is defined as a student who is either an African American; American Indian; Hispanic; or Southeast Asian from Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam admitted to the U.S. after December 31, 1975. Awards are based on financial need, with a limit of eight semesters or twelve quarters.

Hearing and Visually Handicapped Student Grant

The Handicapped Student Grant program was established to provide funding for undergraduate Wisconsin residents, enrolled at in-state or eligible out-of-state public or independent institutions that show financial need and have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment.  There is a limit of  ten semesters.

General information regarding the Wisconsin Covenant Grant can be found on their website.