Associate of Applied Science - 61 Credits
About the Program
Students in the Architectural Technology program are primarily engaged in the planning and designing of residential structures along with producing construction documents. Students will gain experience with various design software, structural detailing, and building integrated modeling (BIM). Modern construction techniques, as well as materials used in today's residential buildings are also closely examined.
The Architectural Technology Program focuses on the principles of residential design with an emphasis on sustainable building practices in both new and renovated structures. Sustainable design seeks to improve building performance, reduce negative impacts on the environment, and improve the health and comfort of building occupants. The basic objectives of sustainable design are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments. It is an integrated, holistic design approach that positively impacts all phases of a building's life-cycle.
Financial Aid Eligible
This program is eligible for financial aid. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further details.
- Residential Designer
- Architectural Technician
- Building Material Sales or Representative
- Building Mechanical Technician
- Shop Drawing Draftsperson
- Structural Detailer
- Project Manager
- Building Inspector
- CAD Technician
- Electrical CAD Drafter
- Survey Assistant
- Interior Design
- Demonstrate computer aided design skills using industry-standard software to prepare presentation and construction documents.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of structural, heating, plumbing, electrical and other mechanical systems within a building.
- Explain the fundamentals of building sciences including basic: physics of structures, properties of materials, construction processes, and building systems.
- Apply and promote principles and practices of environmentally sustainable design in architecture, construction, and daily living.
- Demonstrate knowledge of construction principles, materials, techniques and building codes.
- Estimate materials required for construction.
- Work as a team member by demonstrating good communication and listening skills, cooperation, and providing a supportive environment.