Guatemala Study Abroad
Earn Credits while Studying in Guatemala
December 29, 2017 - January 14, 2018
Registration Deadline : September 30, 2017
Anyone interested is welcome to attend.
Thursday, April 20, 2017 • 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Tamarack Center - 213
Quetzaltenango, known locally as Xela (“Shay-la”), is the second largest city in Guatemala with a population of 300,000. It is located 130 miles west of Guatemala City. Its altitude of 8,000 feet above sea level ensures warm days, cool nights, and no mosquitoes.
Xela is laced with narrow cobblestone streets built for walking and filled with the colorful signs of Mayan culture. The city has a rich history – with its six universities and several technical schools, it is often referred to as Guatemala’s cultural center and most progressive city.
Earn Spanish Course Credits
Spanish I, II, III, or IV: 4 credits
No previous Spanish required for Spanish 1 students
Language classes at Casa Xelajú (“Shay-la-Hoo”) are held Monday - Friday, 8 am - 1 pm. Instruction is one-on-one with a Guatemalan teacher. Wonderful cultural activities are available each afternoon.
- Airfare out of Central Wisconsin and ground transportation in Guatemala
- Two nights hotel stay – first night (Guatemala City) and last night (Antigua)
- Tuition to Casa Xelajú
- Accommodations with a Guatemalan family – you will be matched with a family based on your interests and preferences, have a private bedroom, and be provided three meals a day, Monday - Saturday
- Daily cultural activities
- Guided weekend travel excursion
- Free unlimited internet access
- Group dinner the last night in Guatemala
- Nicolet College credit for the course selected
- Emergency medical and evacuation/repatriation insurance
Price Per Person
- Trip Fee $2230
- Tuition: TBD
- $300 non-refundable deposit required with application (applied towards trip)
- All fees must be paid by October 1st
- Students withdrawing after October 1st will not be eligible for a refund
- Students must be 18 years old to enroll in this course
- Download and complete online form
- Turn in your completed application and deposit
- Send monthly payments
- Get your passport
- Attend the required orientation meeting for course details
Friday, October 27, 2017 • 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
Friday, December 15, 2017 • 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
Students must attend both sessions.